The Evolve Project is committed to provide resources which promote self-love and help alleviate hostile environments for young people.
Per Mental Health America, while trying to deal with all the challenges of being a teenager, gay/ lesbian/ bisexual/ transgender teens additionally have to deal with harassment, threats, and violence directed at them on a daily basis. They hear anti-gay slurs about 26 times a day or once every 14 minutes. Even more troubling, a study found that thirty-one percent of gay youth had been threatened or injured at school in the last year alone!
Their mental health and education, not to mention their physical well-being, are at-risk.
How is their education being affected?
- Gay teens in U.S. schools are often subjected to such intense bullying that they’re unable to receive an adequate education.
- They’re often embarrassed or ashamed of being targeted and may not report the abuse.
- LGBT students are more apt to skip school due to the fear, threats, and property vandalism directed at them.
- One survey revealed that 22 percent of gay respondents had skipped school in the past month because they felt unsafe there.
- Twenty-eight percent of gay students will drop out of school. This is more thanthree times the national average for heterosexual students.
- LGBT youth feel they have nowhere to turn. According to several surveys, four out of five gay and lesbian students say they don’t know one supportive adult at school.
How is their mental health being affected?
- Gay and lesbian teens are at high risk because ‘their distress is a direct result of the hatred and prejudice that surround them,’ not because of their inherently gay or lesbian identity orientation.
- Gay, lesbian, and bisexual youth are two to three times more likely to attempt suicide than their heterosexual counterparts.
Below are resources we believe will be of service to LGBT children and adults. These links include facts and statistics, support groups [so you know you are not alone] and suicide prevention! Please, come back often as we will update links to provide current and trending information that pertain to the LGBT community .
Remember, “ Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself!” -Harvey Fierstein